OK, where to begin. It’s been……..a long time since I posted anything that matters, or given an update. That’s mainly due to the fact that I’ve been in a downward spiral for the last year with regards to my weight and training. I can blame it on a bunch of things like a job loss, long commutes, etc. but ultimately I had given up and made those bad decisions. Now here I am, weighing at 255 lbs (was 261 lbs Aug 1), out of shape, diabetes back in full swing, starting over again. In order not to repeat the same mistakes, I need to figure out what went wrong in the first place. I can think of a few:
- I thought I could out-exercise a bad diet – I hung on for awhile but it didn’t last long.
- “Been there, done that, got the t-shirt” syndrome – this happens a lot in my life with a lot of things I do. It just becomes a project to me, and when the project is done, I move on to the next.
- Excuses, excuses, excuses – obviously
So let’s see all the negatives of being fat, for me that is:
- My lower back pain is back – none existent when I was fit
- My diabetes is back – once again on drugs to try and control it
- Brain fog – this is a side effect of diabetes but worth mentioning
- Fatigued a lot – I can sleep 9-10 hrs without a problem, wasn’t the case when I was fit. I actually felt worse if I slept that long.
- Not comfortable in my own skin
- Crappy wardrobe
Now the positives of being fit, like I was 2 years ago:
- Pain-free every where
- No more meds to control disease
- Clear thought, alert, energized all the time
- Knowing that I can walk out the door anytime and run or bike for 3 hours non-stop, which is required to survive the zombie apocalypse
- Knowing I won’t have to see the Dr anytime soon for another unhealthy disease
- Easier to shop for clothes that fit – I hate shopping for clothes
Keeping all that in mind, I need to figure out what will keep me from starting over a 3rd time, because starting over…..sucks!
I have a few things lined up in the next 2-3 months;
- 100k Big Move Cancer Ride on Sept 9th – biking event to raise money for cancer patients in the area
- 5k on Oct 6th in Crystal Beach
- Half marathon on Nov 4th in Hamilton.
But for the most part, the plan for the next 6-7 months is to drop to 185 lbs, 14% body fat. Multisport goals are in the works and will be released at a later date.